This blog is no longer in use!

Thursday 4 August 2016

Preparing To Travel... Again

I'm sitting on my bed. Its my last night in South Africa and I can't help but stare at my suitcase again. Its packed and ready to be loaded into the car tomorrow morning. I'm boarding the bus to Johannesburg Airport tomorrow morning and I'm don't feel ready to leave, partly because I'll be traveling for about twenty four hours. I love traveling but I wish my time here was longer. The last two weeks have flown by so fast. I wish I had longer in South Africa with my parents... the last two weeks have been amazing. I've spent a lot of time with my parents, traveling to various places. Thankfully we've been blessed with a car that my parents were lent my some Dutch friends of theirs who currently live in the Netherlands but have a home in South Africa and come once or twice a year for a few months.

On Monday we travelled to Hazyview, a little town a few hours drive away from Hoedspruit. My mum had organised a sky trail trip. For those of you who don't know what this is, its like a zip line. You're in a harness, which is attached to a special clip with wheel, this is then attached onto the wire. So you travel down the mountain on a wire... a bit like a cablecar, but without the cablecar. Its an awful lot of fun, once you get over the terror of being traveling a good 20 odd metres above the ground and being held there by nothing more than a harness and a safety clip with wheels. Yes, we did wear helmets, as you can see and we wore gloves so that we wouldn't burn our hands, when we'd slow down (we had to grab the wire and squeeze it with our strong hand to slow ourselves down... being slowed down too much was bad). I should mention that only one person would travel between one platform and the next, with trained guides at each end.

We then spent Monday and Tuesday in a beautiful little wood cabin near Graskop (which is another 40 minutes or so from Hazyview). We spent some time exploring the beauty of the surrounding area and seeing some sights. We got home yesterday and spent today doing last minute errands. Yesterday was voting day here in South Africa and thus a public holiday. So the things that we'd planned to do yesterday were shifted through to today. It was busy, but it's been good.