This blog is no longer in use!

Tuesday 13 September 2016

Intern Checking In!!!

A Cannel in The Hague
This is Redeemer's Intern checking in after a crazy few weeks. I've been to England and back for the first Impact training block... and I moved down here about ten days ago from Epe.

I guess I should start when I moved here... I came down on Friday 2 September and arrived at the office at around lunch time. It was great meeting the team and getting to know everyone. Fridays are generally the busiest day in the office so I got to meet everyone who works here.

I spent the weekend with one of the girls who works at the Redeemer Office once a week. And then on Monday morning I flew to London to join the first Impact Training block. It was a crazy week. There's about twenty six of us from five different nations, all doing the same internship but with different churches, so I'm the only intern traveling from the Netherlands for the training blocks. Due to problems with one of the train companies I was late to the training by about an hour but I didn't really miss anything because the first day was team building day and I'd let the staff know I was going to be late. Then on Tuesday we had lessons on who God is. We spent the entire day looking at who God is. Then on Wednesday we looked at the Old Testament. We kinda spent the entire day working our way through the Old Testament. It was pretty intense but eye opening.

Lessons on the New Testament
Then on Thursday, we went through the New Testament. It was great seeing how God brought into fulfilment the promise of Jesus. The speaker ended up getting us to dramatise various scenes, which was a lot of fun. He also made sure to cover the time between the end of the prophets and Jesus' birth and what was happening in the Middle East at that time. Friday was the last day of the training block, when we looked at hermeneutics and things along those lines...

On Friday, one of the guys, who had lived in Uganda for a number of years (2001-2005) came up to me just at the end of the last morning break and asked what church I'd gone to when I lived in Uganda, because he kinda recognised my surname. The lecture started then and we had to sit down. On and off through that lecture I sent messages to my mum and dad asking if they recognised his surname. It happens that we did know each other and our sisters had been friends, they've come round for meals and stuff. So when lunch started, we pointed at each other and said "I need to talk to you." We then double checked what our parents had said. So yes, we did know each other back when his family lived in Uganda. It took some processing of memories on my part but I do remember his family and the last time we saw each other. He's doing the internship too, but with a church in South London.

I returned to the Netherlands on Saturday evening... and spent the weekend with the same girl I stayed with before I left for England (I'm planning to move in with my host family either this weekend or the beginning of next week, still need to arrange that). And I started in the church office today.