This blog is no longer in use!

Wednesday 28 September 2016

I've Finally Got A Bike!

My New Bike
I really been settling into life in the city, my new church and with my new family (the two kids are accepting me more and more, though I'm still a novelty to both of them).

One of the things that have helped me get settled is the fact that I finally got a good quality, trustworthy bike. A friend of mine helped me find it online. There's a website here in the Netherlands, where you can buy and sell everything and anything; its called marktplaats.nl. So my friend went and looked on marktplaats.nl to see if she could find a bike for me, however it was more challenging than it normally should be, because I'm really short by Dutch standards and this means that the bike's frame needs to be smaller than the average bike standard that's on this website. You can find smaller bike frames in the bike shops but they´re several hundred euros more expensive. It took a good several hours of looking and Whatsaping back and forth to keep checking. We finally found this bike (pictured), we then went to have look at it and from there, we decided it was a perfect fit for me... well, the rest is history. I've been biking into the office almost every day since I got it. I´m so happy about having a way of a way of getting around again, without having to pay for the bus every time I want to go to the gym or to the office.

After my 5km Peace Run
On Saturday 24 September, The Hague held a Peace Run near the Peace Palace. I'd been registered to run in the 5k, and I´m thrilled to say that I was able to complete the run without any problems. I ran the entire route and crossed the finish line. This feat is something I wasn't able to do the last 4k run I did, a few months ago. I guess its down to being lighter (by a few kilos) and a little bit fitter than I was the last time I ran a official race like this. I know I can do better so I´m still going to the gym on an almost daily basis. I´ll be honest, the high you get from going to the gym is awesome, and rather addictive. Every day, when I wake up and I know I´m going to the gym to work out I'm happy. This happiness continues through the workout (and the pain). The high that I get from the workout continues through out the day, and just adds to my feelings of expectation for the next work out when I go to bed. I'm really glad to have found the gym I'm currently going to. I must admit that going to the gym far out rates running outdoors. I have access to good quality equipment that I have't had since I left Uganda four years ago.

The Medals That Everyone Got If They Finished
I've been working on researching travel prices for different trips to England over the next few months. You'd be surprised how many different ways there are to get there and how much the price can change depending on the type of transport you're going to be taking. Its a lot of fun but also challenging finding the cheapest way to get to England that doesn't involve super weird travel hours. Trust me the cheapest tickets usually have departure and arrival times really late at night or really early in the morning because most people don't want to travel at that time and are willing to pay more to travel at a different time.

I'm also doing some work for the youth group. I'm really looking forwards to the meeting we've got this weekend. The group (and the leaders) are a very international group. I already feel like I'm a part of the team.

I'm currently having computer problems so my posts aren't going to be as regular as they have been over the last few weeks. My computer charger started giving me issues charging months ago but the battery started playing up last week; well, I think its the battery that's playing up. As my computer started shutting down on me (even using the charger of a friend). Anyway, everything's going to be okay. I'm going to aim to post whenever I can, until I get my computer sorted out... thankfully I have my iPad and my iPhone.