This blog is no longer in use!

Thursday 15 September 2016

The First Week

I thought a quick update would be in order. I'm really enjoying myself over here in this big vibrant city. There are so many similarities with London but also so many differences. Both cities have a vibrant international community. The history of both cities play a big part in the different feeling that both cities have.

This week has been intense and busy but good and rewarding at the same time. I've been doing some office work, which has been researching the cheapest ways to get to England for a connect conference in Sidcup, London as well as the cheapest hotels in the area. Research is something I really enjoy doing. We're not booking the tickets or the rooms for people but we've given them the cheapest options to get to England for the weekend conference in November. Its interesting. One of the cheapest (and fastest) options is to fly to England, but a lot of the cheap airlines charge as much as €35 (roughly £30) per suitcase that you check in. So if you're flying with hold luggage you can easily end up paying well over €100 (which is roughly £85), however, traveling by bus (an eight and a half hour journey) is cheaper... as you don't need to worry about checking any luggage in as you can take once piece of luggage as well as hand luggage. I love traveling and love looking at ways I can travel cheaply... though normally I don't get the chance. The love for travel is something that I've had for as long as I can remember. As a child I used always want to go to the airport with my dad, not matter what time he had to go and collect people.

On Monday I took out a gym membership at a ladies only gym in the centre of The Hague Den Haag. Over the last few years I've been running outdoors on a regular basis, but since I left Uganda I've sorely missed the weight room. I used to go to the gym almost daily to run and use the different weights. Due to traveling so much, I've never invested in buying a set of dumbbells. So when I knew I was moving to Den Haag, I knew I had to invest in gym membership, as the only way that I can get my money's worth is by going regularly. Thankfully my family have been very encouraging of my joining a gym and have helped me in my journey towards a fitter life. My brother gave me some tips when I was in South Africa the last time. I've been very reluctant to do too much because someone I know pulled something in her neck a few years ago because she tried to do too much too fast. It was either by using too heavy weights or doing too many reps, I don't remember which one it was, but she was on her back for months afterwards, in pain. She had to have a special type of traction to pull the disk in her back into place. It was months before she could return to the gym. I don't want to have the same happen to me. So I've been taking it super easy and really holding myself back. I can feel some of my muscles aching quite a bit, which is a good sign, I think. The nice thing about a "ladies only" gym is that its exactly what this statement says, the only members allowed in this gym are ladies... it makes exercising easier, and not so uncomfortable as there aren't any men using the machines. There are occasionally a few trainers who pass through from time to time to give private training sessions. I really enjoy not having the discomfort of not being in a shared gym. There aren't any mirrors on every wall either so its great being able to run in a safe environment.

Well, until next time!