This blog is no longer in use!

Tuesday 7 June 2016

Outlander, A Wedding and A Visit to South Africa

One of the horses I see almost daily
The Drama of My Life
There's been some drama over the since my last post, like my bike dying on me last Thursday and the marriage of my Rwandan friend, Bebe, on Friday.

I'd biked into Epe on Thursday to get a wedding card for Bebe and on the way there something broke in the back wheel so that the whole wheel would wiggle violently if I tried to bike. It happened on the journey to Epe so I ended up taking the bike to Licht in Duuster LID and leaving there so I could go into Epe and get what I needed without having to push my bike from place to place. When I was finished in Epe I went back to LID to get my bike, then I pushed it back to Herdershof. It took me about an hour getting home with all my stuff. I am now renting a bike from the base for the next few months...

Friday's Wedding
Then on Friday, my Rwandan friend, Bebe, got married. When we started the School of Intercessory Prayer SOIP she was in a relationship with a Rwandan man whom she'd met at an international church a few years ago. Then over the Christmas holiday, when I was in Paris with Hannah, Bebe's boyfriend, Wilson, proposed and Bebe said yes. Back at the end of March Bebe and Wilson went to the Town Hall to legally get married. Then on Friday they were married in church. I got a lift to and from the church with Bas and his fiancée, Maartje. It was a nice ceremony. I didn't stay long at the reception due to uncertainty and not having transport home, as I didn't want to walk home in the dark (I didn't get any good quality photos of the bride and groom).

I love poppies; so much symbolism behind these flowers
Outlander
Over the weekend, I had to walk into Epe to get some shopping done. I seriously got my exercise done. I also had a friend over. One of the girls, McKenzie, who is doing the Bible For Life B4L school came over to join me in watching a few episodes of Outlander, Season 2. She can't watch it at LID so has been coming over to join me watching them. Outlander is a series that starts in the years after World War Two and is about a young woman, Claire, who walks into a circle of standing stones outside Inverness, Scotland and falls back in history, to the years before the Battle of Culloden. Culloden is a marsh in Scotland where the Jacobites fought the British, and lost. This battle was the last of the uprisings and brought an end to the Scottish way of life. Wearing kilts and speaking Gaelic was banned. Outlander follows Claire's journey as she tries to bring stop the Battle of Culloden from happening. Outlander has been beautifully filmed and almost completely spot on historically. I'm not going to give any spoilers away for those of you who haven't watched right up to the latest episode of season 2; I will say that this series are well worth watching. Though I must warn you that there is some very heavy, relatively graphic scenes. I was just telling McKenzie that for me being part British, and knowing that its likely that what happened in Outlander likely took place in reality, its hard to know that almost three hundred years ago these crimes were committed at the hands of the British soldiers stationed in Scotland. I've read into what the the British have done over the years, but I don't really want to look into that right now.

One of the flowers at Herdershof
South Africa!
I'm also looking forwards to the next few months, we've got the GOFest coming up in about five weeks time. Soon after that, I'm going to be spending some time in South Africa with my parents and brother. My parents booked my ticket to and from Johannesburg with British Airways last night. I'm really looking forwards to spending some time down there. I've not been back to South Africa since I left a little over two years ago. There's a number of people at Youth With A Mission YWAM Heidebeek who have worked in South Africa, which has led me to come to the following decision, due to my baggage limits, as set by British Airways; I'm not planning to be take currier or messenger girl, for anyone by taking or bringing anything in my luggage. I'm going to write more about this upcoming trip in a later post, so stay tuned for more information  about my trip and about the GOTeams outreach that's also happening. Whilst I'm in South Africa I'll be using my British sim card whilst I'm over there, so you can let me know get hold of me through that. If you don't have it and want it, do ask me for it).
SaveSave