This blog is no longer in use!

Tuesday 31 May 2016

Goodbye May, Hello June

The Forest That I Live On The Edge Of
I'm kinda at a loss about what to write, again. Yes, things have been busy over the last few weeks, but I don't know how to write even one thing down without my post becoming a bore to read. I guess there are enough blogs out there that involve a degree of boredom that get you closing the window as soon as you've read through the first paragraph. So I'm going to try to keep you interested with the rather mundane that is my daily life. Don't get me wrong, I love what I'm doing at the moment, but after the first five or six posts that are all very similar then my posts get boring to read simply because they're so similar to the previous ones I've written. I don't want to put you to sleep, or have you close this window as soon as you read the first few lines.

My life is filled with office work, admin and writing email. We've spent quite a lot of time trolling the internet in search of cheap tickets to Rwanda. I think I checked the websites of about seven or eight airlines, wrote to an organisation that arranges cheap flights for missionaries and triple checked www.skyscanner.com. Because we're sending our teams out during the high peak travel season (July and August), the flights are more expensive than off peak seasons (during the schools' term times). Changing the dates isn't an option. So we're still looking for those cheap tickets, with the hope we can book them sooner rather than later, as they'll just get more expensive (especially for a larger group).

The Trees Outside The GOTeams Windows
Summer is definitely coming as the weather is slowly warming up, with a couple of bouts of cold rain or wind (or both). I'm quite happy that the weather's getting warmer as it means I can go running without being freezing cold (no matter how fast I run, I still get cold). Its quite interesting for me to observe how ready the Dutch are for some warmer weather. As soon as the sun comes out, the amount of people on base in shorts goes up. A lot of people will wear shorts on the base when the sun's out and its not cold outside. When the sun's out and the temperature outside is nice, people will congregate around the tables outside the Coffee Corner (this is where the mid-morning and mid-afternoon breaks are taken and where the coffee and tea is made). I'm really looking forwards to summer this year, as I do every time I have to live through a European winter. I guess I still miss the constantly nice weather in Uganda. I guess having roughly nineteen years of tropical weather all year round is quite hard to shake off.

This Is On The Edge Of The Bike Path To Heidebeek
Over the last few weeks I've been spending some time with one of the Bible For Life B4L girls, McKenzie. We started talking during the Open House, as she'd been assigned to the Youth Field. It was during the next few weeks that we realised that we've got a number of things in common, like our love for Scotland and a historical series called Outlander (Outlander is a series that starts in 1945 about a young woman who gets thrown back two centuries to the period right before the Jacobite uprising that ended at Battle of Culloden (April 1946), when the Scots were ruthlessly massacred by the British under the leadership of William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland. The Jacobite uprising brought an end of to the Scottish way of life up until that point). We watched a few episodes together on Sunday and we're planning to meet up again to watch some more episodes. I'm really grateful to have found someone who's likeminded.