This blog is no longer in use!

Monday 30 June 2014

International City


It's hard to explain that feeling, when you're in a new environment and you're trying to find your feet after having moving locations. Being such an avid reader, and to some extents, a writer, it's easiest to explain it like this, it's like that feeling I get when I'm a few paragraphs into a new chapter in a book. Since we moved from Dartmouth Road I've been back a few times and I can't tell you how weird it is going back there, knowing that I'm not staying there anymore. The house on Station Road is so different from the house on Dartmouth Road... Yet at that whole feeling of begin a part of something greater is still very strong for me. Station Road end just as international as Dartmouth Road, something that is really highlighted by the World Cup (yes, I know I'm using the World Cup as an example again), as it's normal for there have people coming from the countries that are usually playing each other. Chile vs. Brazil on Saturday is one example, as one of the staff is Brazilian and three of the DTS (Discipleship Training School) students are Chilean. For those of you who are watching at least some of the matches, I should advise you to keep an eye on Argentina, who have strong support over here.

That sense of being in an international setting is something I feel very strongly here, not just because I'm sharing a house with people from so many different countries, but also when I walk the streets of London city. I was walking down Oxford Street today and there was such a mix of languages and accents that I couldn't help but marvel. I chatted with a German girl, briefly as I waited to use the toilet in Starbucks, and I was offered a free book by Hindu man. London's one of the major metropolitans that so many people dream of going to. There's such potential to reach the world just from this ancient and beautiful city. What are we really doing? Where are the Christians? Hiding behind our shopping bags and coffee cups, but what were we called to do?