This blog is no longer in use!

Friday 15 July 2016

The GOFest Is Finally Upon Us!!!

Yes. I should be in bed now, sleeping, however I really wanted to first throw something up on here to let you know that the first day of the GOFest has passed and that it's been epic thus far. We've been running around all day getting things ready for the arrival of the participants. I've spent the last few months working the layout for the handbook, and so last night we printed the contents and then the covers this morning. I spent about three or four hours stapling and folding them. I was so pleased with the final result. I took the photo on the left about half way into the folding and stapling of the info/handbooks. I made sure we had a few copies left over as spares, just to be safe.

The team t-shirts also arrived today. This is another thing I've been working on. I designed the front and passed it on to the Communications Department who put it into the computer and sent it to Carl to order. Each team has a different colour as do the volunteers and the office staff (this is so that the teams know who belongs to which team and who to go to for the different things (which part of the reason I dyed my fringe electric blue... my friend, McKenzie gave me her jar of non-permeant dye before she left for Scotland).

The evening celebration was awesome... to a point where I'm going to write about it in a separate post once the GOFest is done and I've got more time to figure out what I'm going to write without confusing everything. It's great being a part of a group of people who are expecting to meet God in a very real way.

As I was rushing around today, I had to realise something... I've been here seven months as a volunteer (and I had my one year  anniversary of being in the Netherlands earlier this week). I can't believe how quickly time is flying past. I mean, seven months ago, I arrived from Paris, having no idea what to expect of the ensuing months. Now I've been seen how things have intensified and gotten crazy busy for us all... especially the last few weeks. There's been a few times when I've thought "HELP, what am I doing?" but these moments have been just shadows. I've really enjoyed my time until now and must say that I've been in the craziest and the coolest department on base. I've learnt so much from my colleagues, Bas and Carl, and I've grown a lot since I arrived here (I'll go into this more in a later post, so I hope you come back later on to read it). 

I'm just going to say now, I'm not going to write every day through out the GOFest, I just wanted to let you know I'm still alive... and also because I can't sleep right now. My brain's a little too full at the moment (one of the joys of having an over active mind [with a touch of sarcasm]) and writing helps getting everything into the right place before I can try to fall asleep.