This blog is no longer in use!

Tuesday 18 March 2014

The Dramas Involved

The last few days have been rather interesting for me. I've been busy getting used to the weather and the time change, amongst other things. You'd think that going back two hours wouldn't be that big an adjustment to get used to, but it did take me a day or two to get over that. My watch would tell me one time and my body would tell me that my watch was wrong, that it was two hours ahead of the time on my watch.

There's also been a bit of drama with trying to get a telephone number and back account sorted out, which I'm with my great aunt.

Getting a British telephone number and SIM card wasn't that huge a problem to sort out. All it meant I had to do was go to a phone shop, and ask for the company that gives the best deal with Internet data. This means I can use the internet, Facebook, and email from my phone as well as whatsapp  for a very good deal. So I was able to sort that out on Friday, which was the day after I arrived in the UK. So I'm happy with that.

However, opening a bank account has been rather more complicated. I'm a duel citizen and I was born in an East African country. It caused quite a fuss with opening a bank account here. My great aunt and I went to a Barclays branch and were told that I needed to register. Once that was done, I had to wait six months. Or I could open an offshores account. However, I would have needed £5,000 to open the account and annual income of £50,000. So that was automatically out the question. So a few phone calls were made, and some confusing information given. Then, we went into the Gravesend branch this morning to figure out if I could open an account. The staff were ever so helpful, they said I didn't need anything, other than my passport, address and telephone number. Thus, within a short time they were helping me open an account. It was nothing short of a miracle, in my opinion, because I'd ruled it as impossible, but God can make the impossible possible. So I now have a bank account. I'm really happy about this because I had thought I wouldn't have been able to get an account any time soon because of the situation with my being born in Uganda.

I'm off to Broadstairs, later. I'll post again with any news that comes in.