This blog is no longer in use!

Friday 22 January 2016

The Second Week In

Monday at noon
I don't know where to start with this post... The last two weeks have flown by and I've really enjoyed it thus far. I'm also extremely grateful that things haven't been so busy over here, but that's going to change as we get closer to the GO Teams outreach in July.

What I've Been Up To
Over the last week I spent two and half days in the Coffee Corner. Youth With A Mission YWAM Heidebeek is one of the few bases that has an area that serves as a gathering place for the base to come together during coffee time (between 10 and 11 a.m. and 3 and 4 p.m.) and fellowship. The Dutch, as a nation, are known for stopping at 10 a.m. to take a coffee break. With this I don't mean most people in the Netherlands, I mean the entire nation grounds to a half for about twenty minutes to drink coffee at 10. Its the same in the afternoon but most people will drink tea then. So Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon I made the coffee and tea. It was really nice being able to see people from the base and talk to them.

The field outside Heidebeek
The Weather
We've also had a lot of really, really cold weather over the last week or so, with temperatures dropping below freezing and staying there. It crazy because when I was in Paris it was warm enough to leave the jacket at home and now I'm having to wear as many layers as I can without restricting my movement too much. The photo on the left was taken yesterday morning when I arrived at the base. Its been beautiful to see the whole world in white, and its been especially beautiful biking through the forest. There's a blanket of snow on the ground that doesn't completely cover the ground so there's still brown leaves and logs that poke through. Its supposed to be getting warmer now and its not supposed to snow again this winter, hopefully (I'm not the biggest fan of snow). I'm not made for the snow and cold! I guess that due to living in Uganda with beautiful warm weather all year round! I can't tell you how much I miss that, amongst other things.

Life At Heidebeek
Sunday afternoon
In regards to the GO Teams, its still quiet in the office, but I'm enjoying how things are going. We've been working through contacting one of the locations, amongst other things. We've had a number of applicants already, which I'm not sure I'm mentioned in my previous post. There's another Discipleship Training School DTS running at the moment, the Mercy & Justice DTS, with nine students. They're almost all Dutch, with one student from one of the Scandinavian countries, Denmark I think. The Classic and Football DTS will be back in a couple of weeks time and I'm looking forwards to hearing their stories of how their outreaches went. It'll also mean that I'll be moving to a new room. I'm currently in the room of one of the DTS staff so when she gets back I'll be in a new bed.

In Other News
I went to the Gementeehuis (the town hall) this morning to register. It was nerve wrecking (a little) because I was sure they were going to throw up red tape due to my being a duel national and not having lived in the Netherlands in a long time and stuff like that, but it went well. I'll be hearing back from them soon, and then I'll be able to apply for a new passport and a bank account...

'Til next time dear reader.