This blog is no longer in use!

Tuesday 29 July 2014

WildFire Takes Glasgow


I had an incredible time in Glasgow, Scotland. God really used me and the young people I was with. We arrived in Glasgow on July 17, after about 12 hours of travel (via The King's Lodge, Nuneaton, where we met up with some of the staff, who we travelled to Scotland with). That evening some Egyptian teens joined us, the next day we started.

Of the one and twenty people in WildFire, half were over the age of 18 and the other half were under the age of 18. We had lectures and worship in the mornings and outreaches in the afternoons.

I knew that God wanted me to join the evengelism team. Evengelism isn't something I'm overly brave with. I've always struggled stepping out and talking to people, especially about my faith. The lady who was leading the evengelism has a gifting in this and she really inspired me in this area. We also were working along side a Christian Theatre Company, called Saltmine. They did a number of dramas. Many of them are around my age and they really inspired me with their passion to reach out to people through the arts. I really learnt a lot from them.


We celebrated the opening games with one of the churches we were working with in Glasgow (we were also using their buildings to sleep and meet in). It was a lot of fun watch that with the Taboo Arts Team (from YWAM Urban Key, London), Saltmine and the members of both the WildFire team and the church. It was great to see all the nations of the commonwealth come in. I had to holler when Uganda came in. It was a proud moment to see my country at such an event. We'd seen about fifteen people come to Christ during the outreach earlier that day. These people were mostly teenagers and the people who spoke to them where teenagers themselves. That day I had felt God ask me to talk to certain people and I hadn't been totally ready to when they'd walked past, but God kept giving me a chance to do that and in the end I'd found the courage and stepped out. It was an incredible feeling being able to share the gospel. We'd made gospel bracelets. Each bracelet has two green beads (green is for creation), two brown beads (brown stands for sin and separation from God), two red beads (red is for love, God so loved us and wanted a relationship with us, he sent his son to die), two white beads (Jesus' washed our sins away and made us white as snow), two blue beads (blue stands for when Jeaus went to heaven he left his Holy Spirit so we won't be alone), and two yellow beads (yellow is for eternal life, when we die we'll go to heaven if we've chosen to follow Jesus). It see an amazing way to share share the gospel with people.



We also had an incredible time of worship, last Friday (if I remember correctly), outside Glasgow Cathedral, where the body of the city's patron saint, Mungo, is buried.


On Sunday afternoon and into the night, Amy, Ezequiel and I travelled back to London by bus. It took us eleven hours, because we traveled by bus from Glasgow to London and then had to get from the bus station to the house. After spending one night in the London base we headed back to Islington, where we are now. When we were here in the beginning of the month we spent a lot of time handing flyers out for a kids camp that the church we're working with is running, now we're taking part in staffing that camp. It's called Dover Soul. There's five of us from YWAM London. Three staff and two LMD (School of Leadership and Ministry Development) students. Its a lot of fun working with the kids from the local community. Dover Soul started yesterday and runs in the afternoons, finishing on Friday with a closing service on Sunday.

Photographs: Glasgow Cathedral, we had a worship time here; the Ugandan flag, I found this flying outside the Cathedral and had to snap a photo; and Saint Mundo's tomb, his remains we're moved from the crypt and have been laid elsewhere.

Until next time.