This blog is no longer in use!

Wednesday 25 December 2013

Christmas Greetings

Merry Christmas, my dear reader!

I'm really grateful that I can celebrate this special day with those I love. Last year I was in Brazil, it was just after the start of my DTS outreach and the first time I'd been away from my family over my birthday and Christmas. It was also the first time I'd celebrated it Dutch style. For the Dutch, Christmas isn't as big a celebration as it is in England or in other countries.

The Kenyan Coast, the Indian Ocean none the less
The Dutch celebrate Saint Nicolas on 5 December. If I'm correct, Saint Nicolas was the patron saint of sailors, and December 5 was his birthday. On his birthday hè decided to give presents to the children of the sailors who were at sea, it spread and so the Dutch will exchange presents on Saint Nicolas's birthday every year. Here's what usually happens. A few weeks before December 5 (or the nearest weekend), everyone will write a few things they like and a few of their hobbies on a piece of paper (along with their name) and put it in a hat. Everyone will pull out some else's name from the hat. The group will have decided how much each will spend on the presents and then they'll go away get their presents and work on their riddles and how to wrap one (or all) the presents to make it look like one of the hobbies of the person it's for. After the 'game' has been played the people will try to figure out who did their surprise. Christmas doesn't usually include exchanging presents (but it depends on the family) but is celebrated in a quiet way.

This year, a dear friend of ours from Hoedspruit, provided us with the opportunity to use her timeshare with a certain resort in the town of Saint Lucia on the Kwazulu-Natal coast. The Indian Ocean in three kilometers away. We've had the most unusual Christmas we've had as a family that I can remember. Usually we will have some decoration up. This year we aren't at home so no decorations but its lovely being with the family.

After many hitches, my visa application is finally with the immigration department and I'm currently waiting to hear whether or not its been approved or not. I'm at peace inside, as I know my Heavenly Father's decision is the right one.

Blessings!