This blog is no longer in use!

Monday 28 October 2013

Footprints On A White Beach

Caleb is his formals
Life is like walking down a beautiful white beach, as the tide is going out. Over the blue green water, the sun rises on the eastern horizon, painting the sky different colours in a breath taking and awe inspiring display. You stop and look behind you, you see your footprints in the sand. Sometimes there's two sets of footprints disappearing in the surf, but at other times, there is just one set disappearing behind you. For me, there have been times, when it seemed so dark, and yet I know that I was being carried by my Saviour's mercy and grace and at those times, its only His footprints I see behind me. Its amazing how He has provided for me and continues to do so. This has confirmed the next step in my journey of life. Sometimes, there are points in life that involve a lot of waiting, like now. On an almost daily basis, I need to make the choice to trust God that my police clearance form, which has been approved, will get here soon. He has it in His hands, and I'll continue to praise Him despite all that's going on around me. His love for me will never fail, no matter what happens.

For my brother, Caleb, a big milestone is approaching. Two days from now, he'll be turning fifteen. Its hard to believe that the baby my parents brought back from the hospital on the evening of October 30, 1998, is now a good foot taller than me and, in my opinion, very handsome. He doing so incredibly well in school, constantly surprising us and himself, by ranking, at the end of the last term, fourth in his class of eighteen. He has set his mind on moving up, in his class, and I know that he is surprising, even himself, by doing so. Its incredible to see how far he's come over the last year since he became a student at Southern Cross College.

A year ago, Caleb really struggled writing, and when I left for the Netherlands in September 2012, I didn't know how he was progressing, until I received a card from him whilst on outreach in Brazil. I was shocked. My brother wrote me a card, and it was beautiful. I remember going outside and crying. I was so proud of him, I still am. Southern Cross School has really motivated him to work hard and sometimes he'll be working for hours to finish what he couldn't do in class. There is an element of peer pressure involved, I think, because he fights to keep up with the rest of the class, who don't have dyspraxia, dyslexia or any other learning challenges he is facing. Just like when I was in school, Caleb is learning to see his challenges, not as hindrances that get in his way and hold him back, but as gifts that others don't have.

Until next time.