This blog is no longer in use!

Monday 24 October 2016

Monday

The Nieuwe Kerk
Over the last weeks I've not been going to the gym as regularly as I would like to have, which is effecting the numbers on my scales. Its partially due to my gym time having gone down, as well not having eaten the right food. I've got my gym bag next to my left foot and am planning to go later today... and everyday this week.

Things are going well otherwise. The cold I had a few weeks ago has almost completely cleared up. The weather has beautifully dry over the last week or so. Thankfully I haven't had to bike in the rain since that awful Thursday when I had to bike the entire home journey in the rain. However, over the last week the temperature has dropped into the single digits in the mornings, which has made biking to and from the office (and the church; pictured on the left) rather challenging, especially first thing in the morning. I'm planning to keep biking every morning unless its raining or I know that I have to return home after around 21:00 (9:00pm). There's two areas on my route home that I'd don't feel safe biking through after a certain point. This is the city and every city has areas that aren't safe for female bikers to go through at night, and its not only because of the traffic. I'd rather stay safe than end up sorry for not being careful.

I thought I'd also take a moment to write about two books I've been reading over the last week. One is called Radical by David Platt. It's one of the best books I've read that looks at being Radical for Christ. I'm reading it for my internship... I've tried to read other Christian books but have found them extremely challenging because of the way these books are written; they're usually full of stuff I don't understand and can't follow the "logic" of the theoretical path that the writers follow. I'm really enjoying reading this book and will be ordering the second book soon.

The other book I've been reading, that you may already know about is Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon. If you haven't been reading my blog posts over the last few months, you'll probably not know that I've become a huge fan of Outlander (TV series, Season One's been on Netflix recently)... well, two months ago I got the book after discovering that Season One is based on the book of the same name... which I thoroughly enjoyed. Dragonfly In Amber is book two. Season Two is based on this book and I'm really enjoying seeing the parallels between Season Two and the book; as well as the differences. There are a lot of differences between the book and the series. Its funny how many changes were made to the series to make sure each episode fits in the time limit and the episode limit. Its quite an intense series of books to read, just like the series can be intense.