This blog is no longer in use!

Friday 28 October 2016

Blipfoto

My Blip for 27 October 2016; Delft
One of the things that have come under a lot of persecution over the last 1,011 days is my habit of taking and posting a photo a day on a platform called Blipfoto. Every day since the 22nd of January 2014 I've posted a photo against the day I took it... and I've never missed a day. There have been days when I've not been able to post, due to travel reasons, or not having access to my phone or internet, but I've still taken a photo and written a description down somewhere, so I don't have to write a whole load. I love photography, and I find that Instagram doesn't offer the same pleasure that Blipfoto does as Instagram wasn't designed as a once-a-day photography platform. I still love using Instagram but I also love Blipfoto.

The persecution I've received over the years mainly took place back in the days when I lived and worked in Youth With A Mission YWAM. I'm not go to mention which base it was at or whether or not these people were YWAMers or not. All I'm going to say is that there have been some people who haven't always understood why I "had" to take a photo every day and post it on Blipfoto. They think I've gone and tied myself to something that I shouldn't have, thus allowing myself to become a "slave" to it. According to them I should stop posting a photo daily, for the same reasons why I should stop drinking coffee, because its not right for Christians to be "addicted" to anything. They've also said that if I don't have access to a camera I should just skip a day. It just shows how little they know me. For me to skip a day would be going the very core of who I am. I can't quite explain it, but I will give it a try. You could say that if I tried to stop with a project like this it would be like trying to make a waterfall start flowing backwards, up over the cliffs the water is fall over. I'm an artist and a traveler. Photography is one of my favourite mediums because I dont have to carry around loads of canvases, paints, brushes, an isle and turpentine with me when I go traveling around the place (maybe one day when I have my own place, I'll start painting again, but for now, I don't have the space for my artwork). Having my iPhone with me makes life a lot easier. All I need is my iPhone and some good editing software on my iPhone (I usually end up using Google Snapseed).

One of the biggest advantages of having Blipfoto is that it provides a perfect platform for the traveler to document their travels and keep the home front up to speed with daily life without having to write a whole host of emails to people on a daily basis. Not everyone has Instagram, Twitter or Facebook, so that makes it harder for those who don't use social media to follow the lives of those they're following. This is one of the biggest reasons behind my having Blipfoto. People, like my mum, who don't use the 'mainstream' forms of social media can see what's happening in my day to day life. On the other hand, its a huge commitment to posting daily. There's been days when I've spent the entire day in bed because I was unwell, and really didn't want to post a darkened photo of my room. There have also been days when I've snapped a photo mere moments before midnight struck because I'd been to busy to remember to take a photo (these days are few and are between).

I'll keep posting for as long as I am able to post so if you want to follow my life adventures, beyond my blog here, I'd recommend you check my page out. It would be awesome if you'd get an account too but only if you're willing to take up the challenge of posting a daily photograph yourself. It won't be worth it otherwise. Click here for the link to my blipfoto profile.