This blog is no longer in use!

Wednesday 19 October 2016

Life Happens

My Five Year Memory Book
Life has gotten really busy with a whole host of things happening since I last posted about what's happening with me and the internship.

Internship
The internship is going really well. I'm really enjoying it and enjoying living in The Hague Den Haag. I'm usually in the office during the week (except for one week day that I have off) working on various errands and tasks given to me by the staff. I've also been working on some stuff for the internship. One of these things is reading through the New Testament. I've found it quite a challenge sometimes, actually reading the New Testament because I've read it before a few times so I've started playing each daily reading from my phone when I'm working.

I've also been seeing quite a few of my good friends from my Discipleship Training School DTS. I've also been spending time with some of the people I've gotten to know from church. I think I'll probably end up getting to the point when I'll have to start scheduling time for myself into my schedule to make sure the introvert side of me gets a chance to rest. Over the last weekend I also was able to Skype a good friend of mine, McKenzie. I've written about McKenzie before. We met when I was volunteering at Youth With A Mission YWAM Heidebeek. McKenzie was doing the Bible For Life B4L. We usually message each other most days, but because of the time difference we don't Skype often. Its great having someone to talk to about my love for Scotland and Outlander. McKenzie's the same. We're both waiting for Outlander Season 3 to be aired. I'm going to miss watching Outlander with her (some of you might remember me writing about watching quite a few episodes of Season 2 with her). For those of you who aren't aware of what Outlander is, Outlander is a series about a young English woman, Claire, who lived in 1946, who goes up to a circle of standing stones near Inverness, Scotland, to get some flowers and ends up getting thrown back in time to 1743. The series (and the books) follow Claire's story as she adjusts to life in Scotland in the years running up to the Battle of Culloden (which was the last pitched battle on British soil when Charles Stuart tried to overthrown the House of Hanover, with the English victory the Scottish way of life was brought to an end). 

The Corridor Going To the Cells
Gevangenpoort
On Saturday I had made plans to meet a friend to see a movie. I ended up arriving early and as I walking past the Prison Museum I decided to go. I walked in. It was cheaper than I thought it would be. There are a few rooms you can have a look around in without the tour, however the rest of the museum needs to be looked at when on the tour. There's also an art gallery but I didn't end up having a look there because my mind wasn't in the right place to look at pieces of art. The museum is incredible. It was really well worth it. Its quite shocking to realize how justice was given out back through the middle ages. There was three goal rooms, where roughly fifteen men were locked in, sometimes more. They were normally locked up for anything ranging from being caught lying to murder. Because it was so dark in the goal rooms you wouldn't know what your fellow prisoners had done to get locked up. The windows didn't have glass in them, nor was there light, so the prison was very cold. Because there was a mini ice age happening at the time, there was a freezing cold wind passing through the rooms, carrying the smell of cooking food (the kitchen was right outside; on the outside the wall on left in the photo on the right). The tour was took us through the torture chambers, which was one of the main ways of getting a confession out of someone back in the middle ages. The Tower of London did this extensively as well, though using different devises and tactics and is more famous for being a prison and a place of torture. A confession would stand if the person would confess in the torture chamber and then again in their prison chamber within the next twenty four hours. I'm one of those people who believe in the importance of having these museums as otherwise my generation and the generations after will forget what happened in the days old. Not everyone is a historical buff like I am and if people don't take the time to go to these places they'll never know what happened in the past. This is why I'm so glad that there are so many museums in London that are free, and that France give free entry to people under the age of twenty five if the person has a valid ID with them.

One of the Cells
Youth Group
We had youth group on Sunday evening. I'm really enjoying being a part of the leaders of this group, There's about twenty five thirteen to eighteen year olds, from different countries and backgrounds. Since we've got such a large group we've split them in two (I don't know if I mentioned this before). I've been helping with the younger group. We usually meet every first and third Sunday of each month. We have a meal together and a game before having the teaching.

For me, the youth group should be a very important part of any church. Having a good youth group is important as a place for the teens to ask questions and have a safe place to listen to teachings that are relevant. I remember when I was in my early teens, going to youth group was a huge highlight of my bi-weekly schedule. It wasn't only because I'd be able to see my friends who I wouldn't see during the rest of the week but also because we discussed subjects that was relevant to us (I'm not saying that the Sunday sermon wouldn't be relevant to us, but teens have questions about things that aren't always addressed during the Sunday service).

The Houses of Parliament
Family News
Some of you might know that my sister, Hannah, flew down to South Africa last week. She's going to be spending a few moths with the family and working. Caleb's almost finished with grade 11. He's going to turn 18 at the end of the month. Its hard to believe where the time has gone. I still remember when mum and papa brought him home as a baby. Its been years since I celebrated his birthday with him and I can't help but wonder if he'll have a big celebration for his birthday. 

Before my sister flew down to South Africa, my parents and Caleb went down to Cape Town for a conference (I think this was about two weeks ago). They were at the conference for a few days with some friends of theirs and from what I heard, they all really enjoyed it. They even ran into people they knew from when my parents were part of Kampala International Church KIC. Seems we're all running into people we knew from when we first moved to Kampala.

My host family were also away for a few days, but they're back now. Its weird being at home (I see their house as my home now) when there's no children there to bring noise to the house. The children are quite noisy and when they're away, I've really missed having them about.