This blog is no longer in use!

Saturday 10 May 2014

To Be An Empty Jar

I hadn't actually planned to post anything until Monday, at the earliest as I'm currently with family for the weekend, as my cousin, Lindsey, had a performance today. However, something big has happened Thursday night and I can't resist writing about my experience. It's the experience of when I allowed God to use me in an incredible way, in the lives of other people both when I was travelling back to the house last night and at the YWAM community meeting in Notting Hill. Yes, I was able to share some things that He'd put on my heart during the meeting and I was able to put that into action on my way home. Don't worry nothing scary or dangerous happened!! Just God awesomely being able to use me because I let Him! Here's what happened:

Every Thursday evening YWAM Urban Key meets in a church in Notting Hill area in London. I'd gone by the Tube because I have a Railcard that's been merged with my Oyster card (so I pay about the same as the bus). I had gone to Notting Hill early to have some time alone. Though it meant I was walking around feeling really homesick. Then when the meeting started I was feeling really rotten. Whilst the worship was happened I decided to make the decision to focus on God and He was still able to use me, and speak through me. I shared about how God wants to fill us up with His love, so we can go deeper in Him and being able to give back to others, like the story in the Old Testament (in the Bible) of the widow and her two sons. They'd had to sell everything and when the prophet came to their village they asked him to help them. All they had left was a small jar of oil. The prophet told them to get all the jars they could and fill them. The miracle was that all the jars were filled and only when there was no jars left did the oil run out. To be an empty jar is so that God can refill us.

Then at the end of the meeting God reminded me of something I wanted to share earlier but hadn't felt right about it earlier. The second part of what I shared came from one of devotional readings a few weeks ago. So this is what I shared: someone once wrote this about Jesus: "He who is the Bread of Life began His ministry hungering. He who is the Water of Life ended His ministry thirsting. Jesus hungered as a man, yet fed the hungry as God. He was weary, yet He is our rest. He paid tribute, yet He is the King. He was called a devil, but He cast out demons. He prayed, yet He hears prayer. He wept, and He dries our tears. He was sold for 30 pieces of silver, yet He redeems sinners. He was led as a lamb to the slaughter, yet He is the Good Shepherd. He gave His life, and by dying He destroyed death."

Then on the way home, I was again going by the Tube. In the station, in Notting Hill, was a man who was begging for people's pennies. As I walked towards the point where I swiped my Oyster card to pay for the journey home, I felt I had to give something to the man. I don't like giving beggars money because I don't know if they're going to buy drugs or alcohol. Earlier I'd bought some oat biscuits so I reached into my bag to get a packet out for him. He thought I was going for my purse, so he asked for change, I said I had something better for him so I gave that to him. I also said "God bless you," which caused him to enquiry if I was a born again Christian and I told him I was. He was shocked and didn't want to take it at first but I said it was for him. He was then very grateful, and wanted a hug, so I gave him a hug. I said I knew that begging was hungry work, which made him laugh. It was so nice to be able to bless someone like that and I spent most of the evening thinking about it. I also prayed for the man on my way home. I was ever so thrilled that I was able to do that.

I was able to come to Dunstable for Lindsey's performance today. I'm really glad I was able to come and that the school staff gave me permission to have the day off to come. Lindsey was amazing today! She's a real actress and has a natural confidence on the stage! I almost missed the performance because of there was problems with the overhead train wires and the signaling. I'd caught the train to Luton from St. Pancras. So I ended up sitting in the train at Harpenden for a while and then at Luton Airport Parkway. I was ever so happy that I arrived with five minutes to spare before everyone left for the theatre. The train was almost half an hour late, so I was really worried I wouldn't get to to Taz's by the time they left, but I managed to just in time.

All the photos, except the last one, are from my time in Kent with my great aunt. The last one is of the delicious red velvet cake Taz made.